We have tried to provide helpful answers below to the most frequently asked questions about financial aid. If you have more questions, we would be happy to answer them.


When do I apply for financial aid? When do I get started?

Apply for financial aid at the same time you apply for admission. In order to apply for financial aid at Concord Academy, families are required to submit the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) form online at SSS (School and Student Services). Families are also required to submit the following to SSS:

-Signed federal tax return with all supporting schedules from either the current year or the previous year
-Current year W-2s from all working parents (or IRS Form 1099 or a Business/Farm Statement if self-employed)

Please note that all financial aid application materials must be received by January 15 in order to be considered for a financial aid award.

How is financial need determined?

School & Student Services (SSS) is a national financial aid calculation service operated by Community Brands. Their methodology looks at family income, expenses, assets, and debts, as well as additional factors including family size and the number of children in the family attending tuition-charging schools, to determine a level of financial need. The Financial Aid Committee at Concord Academy will use the SSS report in conjunction with Concord Academy’s financial aid policies to determine what a family could contribute to educational expenses.

What forms do I have to submit to SSS in order to complete a financial aid application?

We require a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) from each parent household, a signed federal tax return with all supporting schedules from either the current year or the previous year, and copies of W-2s from all working parents (or IRS Form 1099 and a Business/Farm Statement if self-employed).

What if the fees associated with the PFS are a hardship for my family?

Fee waivers for the PFS are available for families who meet certain low income guidelines. Contact the Financial Aid Office at (978) 402-2253 for details.

Is the financial aid in the form of a grant or a loan?

All financial aid awards are grants and do not require repayment. Grants range from $1,000 to the full cost of tuition.

How are financial aid applications handled for families with divorced or separated parents or parents who have never been married?

All parents retain the obligation to contribute what they can afford to the education of their children, regardless of any divorce or other agreements stating otherwise. In most cases, the Financial Aid Committee will make an award only after considering the financial resources of all parents. Therefore, if both parents are involved in the child’s life, Concord Academy requires that each parental household complete the full financial aid application process. If a parent has no contact with the child, the custodial parent may submit a statement from a third party aware of the situation in a professional capacity (such as a school official or a member of the clergy), in lieu of financial aid application forms from the absent parent. Please contact the director of financial aid with any questions or concerns about this issue at (978) 402-2253 or email john_mcgarry@concordacademy.org.

Will a request for financial aid affect my child's chances for admission?

Concord Academy offers a comprehensive, need-based financial aid program. Each year, demand for financial aid exceeds the supply. If we are unable to offer financial assistance to an admissible student, that student may be placed in the admissions wait pool.

When will we be notified if we have received an award?

If a family’s financial aid application is received by the Financial Aid Office by the January 31 deadline, a financial aid decision letter will be mailed with the admissions decision on March 10. If the student is accepted, the family will either receive a Financial Aid Agreement detailing the terms of their financial aid award, or a letter indicating that the student has been placed on a waiting list for financial aid.

Will my financial aid application be confidential?

Yes. Requests for financial aid and all financial information submitted are kept in strict confidence. Only the Financial Aid Office has access to the financial forms you submit and only the members of the Financial Aid Committee will be aware that you have applied for financial aid.Yes. Requests for financial aid and all financial information submitted are kept in strict confidence. Only the Financial Aid Office has access to the financial forms you submit and only the members of the Financial Aid Committee will be aware that you have applied for financial aid.Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

Does CA offer any academic, artistic, athletic, or merit scholarships?

CA does not offer any merit-based scholarships. All financial aid is awarded based on a family’s demonstrated financial need.

Is financial aid available to international students?

No. The financial need assessment used by Concord Academy is based on the United States income taxation and cost of living systems. Concord Academy is only able to consider applicants for financial aid if they are US citizens or permanent residents holding green cards.

Are students receiving financial aid required to work on campus or expected to maintain certain performance standards?

CA students receiving financial aid are held to the same standards as all other CA students. Financial aid awards consist primarily of grants for which no repayment or ‘work/study’ arrangement is required. CA expects the same level of commitment and participation from all of its students, regardless of their financial situation.

If we receive financial aid this year, can we count on receiving it each subsequent year?

Financial aid will be continued at the same level through graduation, provided a family’s need does not change. If a family’s need increases, we will make every effort to meet that need. However, we can only guarantee the level of aid awarded in the previous year. Because awards are evaluated annually, a renewal application must be filed each year.

If we didn't receive financial aid this year, can we apply for it next year?

The Financial Aid Committee will consider applications from returning CA families who have not received financial aid in the past. However, it is unlikely that we will be able to meet the financial need of these families as no pre-existing budget exists to fund these situations. It is our expectation that families who begin at Concord Academy paying the full tuition will continue to do so. Full pay families who suffer a job loss are encouraged to contact the Director of Financial Aid directly.

Are there music grants?

Each year, music grants are awarded to new and returning students to cover the cost of lessons taken at Concord Academy. Once a student receives a music grant, he or she will continue to receive the grant as long as the lessons and need continue. Music grants are awarded only to students who qualify for financial aid. Please contact the director of financial aid at (978) 402-2253 or email john_mcgarry@concordacademy.org for a music grant application.

Can we request an appeal to our financial aid reward?

Families who feel they are unable to meet the financial expectations outlined in the financial aid award agreement may request a second review of their financial aid application. In order to initiate the appeals process, the parent should call the Financial Aid Office and prepare the following:
• a detailed monthly or annual budget showing all income and expenses
• a statement of changes, if any, in financial circumstances since the financial statement was completed
• detailed explanations, if any, of unusual expenses and/or debts that were not fully explained on the original financial statement(s)

166 Main Street
Concord, MA 01742
Phone: (978) 402-2250
Fax: (978) 402-2345