The School Nurse is a registered professional nurse certified with the Massachusetts Board of Nursing working in the school setting who strengthens and facilitates the educational process by improving and protecting the health of the student body. The school nurse works collaboratively to prevent illness and disability and achieve early detection and treatment of health-related issues. The school nurse is uniquely qualified in preventative health, health assessment, and referral procedures. We currently serve approximately 400 high school age students during the school year.
This is a one year, academic year (10 month) full-time position (40 hour per week). We anticipate the role would start as soon as possible, and end on June 1, 2021. The health center is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. every school day. Weeknight and weekend on-call coverage is required whenever students are in residence.
- Collect, maintain, evaluate, and update health data for all students; communicate with parents throughout the year regarding changes in health status.
- Communicate any special requirements or precautions to faculty/staff/house faculty on a need-to-know basis; provide adults with the training necessary for the health and safety of all students.
- Provide assessment and nursing care for students throughout the day. Oversee prescription and non-prescription medications in accordance with state regulations, including storage and handling and documentation. Use electronic health records (currently Magnus Health) to document all student visits.
- Promote and assist in the control of communicable diseases through immunization screenings, influenza vaccine administration, and the early detection, surveillance, and reporting of contagious diseases.
- Collaborate with the school physician and other healthcare professionals to assure that appropriate diagnoses and treatments are provided for students as needed, either on or off-campus. This includes making appointments for boarding students, arranging transportation, and accompanying students to outside medical appointments. Ensure that parents are kept informed of any change in the health status of their children.
- Perform limited lab testing in the office, including blood draws, rapid-strep and strep cultures, urine dipstick and routine urinalysis and cultures, stool cultures, etc. as ordered and indicated.
- Work closely with school physicians in developing and updating annual standing orders, and school health policies.
- Collaborate daily with Counselors and Athletic Trainer.
- Dispense and distribute weekend medications for boarding students to House Faculty. Maintain EpiPens and first aid kits in the Houses. Maintain accurate documentation of all medications given via House Faculty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Share responsibility for overnight and weekend on-call nursing coverage.
- Provide phone triage when contacted by house faculty or student, which may involve making recommendations over the phone, assessing a student in person, accompanying the student to hospital, or spending the night in the Health Center.
- Communicate with House Faculty, administrators, and parents; document calls and visits in student electronic records.
- Registered Nurse with Massachusetts license in good standing.
- Five years of experience as a professional R.N.
- School Nurse experience preferred.
- Certified in CPR, BLS, or ALS.
- Proficient in MS Office, Google Suite.
- Experience with Magnus Health electronic database is highly desired.
- Ability to operate medical equipment as required.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with adolescents.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a highly integrated team.
- Curiosity and interest in CA’s culture, mission, and aspirations.
- Flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Integrity, honesty, sound judgment, and a strong work ethic.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter and resume to:
Director of Student Health & Support Services
To learn more about Concord Academy, please visit our website: www.concordacademy.org.