Concord Academy, an independent boarding and day school for grades 9 through 12 located in Concord, Massachusetts, seeks an Assistant Director of Communications and Operations. Chartered in 1922, the school currently enrolls approximately 400 boarding and day students from 10 countries and territories and 15 states. We actively seek applicants who reflect and support our mission-driven commitment to creating and maintaining a diverse and equitable school community. The successful applicant will have a commitment to advancing the core tenets of the school’s mission.
The Assistant Director of Communications and Operations will produce high-quality writing and multimedia content and manage the operations and data for all internal and external audiences in an active and collegial environment. The Assistant Director will support an integrated marketing and communications strategy for all communications and marketing initiatives. Concord Academy is a school rich with stories and this person will help disseminate those stories to the world, both online and in print. As part of a small and dynamic team, the assistant director communications and operations will work closely with the Senior Associate Director of Communications to produce work that shares Concord Academy’s institutional narrative for all internal and external communications, media, and news mediums. This person will be deeply engaged in all aspects of the active community. This role will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer and creative multimedia storyteller with the drive to discover and produce relevant, compelling stories for various platforms, and to track data to support direction and strategy. The successful candidate has a track record of managing multiple projects and ideas at once, in a fast-paced and exciting environment. This person is not only an effective storyteller, they are a thoughtful, organized, solutions-driven individual who likes data analysis and is meticulous about details, deadlines, and project management. This person shares in the excitement of adopting creative tools and is ambitious about taking on new challenges and ideas. This person enjoys supporting others, developing rapport with a wide range of diverse constituent groups, and thrives in being part of and engaging with a vibrant and caring community.
This person will work with various departments to create content that engages, informs, and inspires our constituents. This is a great opportunity at an exciting time in the school’s history: we will celebrate the school’s centennial and we are about to launch a capital campaign. There will be exciting opportunities to support the admission and advancement communications. We seek a creative and energetic communications professional with the expertise and ambition to embrace and participate fully in the community and capture the CA spirit and experience and share those stories across platforms in compelling, authentic, and innovative ways.
Creativity: We are looking for a creative storyteller — someone who knows how to create compelling content across platforms, whether it be in writing, photography, video, an interactive web experience, and will look for any other medium.
Change and Innovation: We are a school and we learn and grow every day. We look for people with a desire to learn from everything they do and are not afraid to fail. The content we produce always reflects that passion for learning and growing.
Quality: We strive to produce exceptional work of leading edge quality. We work together with talented professionals who show an unwavering commitment to quality.
Collaborative: We are a community built upon engagement and partnership. Working together with a variety of constituencies is key.
Community: We are a vibrant, caring community, and like to work with people who are deeply committed to the community.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
The ideal candidate is creative, collaborative, and engaging with all key stakeholders and constituents and plays an instrumental role as storyteller and communications manager of the school. We seek someone with energy, enthusiasm, and deep commitment to the work and the community. This person enjoys meeting and working together with people, is energized and is comfortable working with a diverse range of constituencies, and has a great sense of humor and perspective. Experience working in independent schools and experience supporting the mission and values of an educational institution is helpful but not required.
The Assistant Director of Communications and Operations is responsible for writing, editing, and publishing communications and marketing content, managing and maintaining print and online content, and supporting all brand communications and fundraising initiatives.
- Content Production – Cover school life and events with copy, photos, and video and producing stories using any or all of those mediums independently or together.
- Design and Multimedia Production – Produce internal print and digital pieces for various departments and uses.
- Social Media – Share content regularly and manage all channels in a timely, effective, dynamic, and engaging manner.
- Email Marketing – Manage all school email communications for admissions and advancement communications and deliver the weekly community newsletter, the scheduling calendar and all tasks associated with timely, clean, and accurate communications delivery.
- Digital and Print Advertising – Manage all advertising creative and delivery of annual marketing campaigns.
The Assistant Director of Communications and Operations is responsible for managing the essential operational aspects of school communications including, but not limited to, managing all digital operations and database integrity, department workflow and processes, data analytics, project coordination, and administrative paperwork, and other duties as assigned.
- Project and Traffic Management – Manage the workflow and process for all school requests for communications and marketing.
- Production Management – Assist in the production of various annual print and digital projects and manage other projects for the school including the handbooks, directory, programs.
- Operations and Systems – Partner closely with the school database manager and technology managers to ensure clean and accurate data for digital and print mailings.
- Photography and Video Asset Delivery and Database – Manage the digital workflow and dissemination and archiving of all digital assets. Oversee, maintain, and distribute brand-consistent assets for all photo and video and databases, portals, and mail files for all communications channels.
- Data Analytics and Reporting – Maintain and track data and website analytics.
- Media and Press Relations – Assists in the delivery and handling of the media and press.
- Administrative and Project Support – Support administrative and operational initiatives for the department as directed by the Director of Communications and Marketing. Handle the department’s administrative duties and budget paperwork for freelance contractors and other functions, as needed.
This position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3+ years of experience as a digital storyteller or relevant experience in marketing and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum of three years in communications, content management, and administrative experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Experience with writing marketing copy and fundraising appeals is desirable.
- Expertise in photography, videography, and creating multimedia content.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills.
- Excellent project management and customer service skills, including managing complex responsibilities and prioritizing among multiple demands and deadlines.
- Experience working with a variety of constituents with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Advanced experience with databases and mail files. Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Expert knowledge of web applications, web-based databases, and productivity tools such as Slack, Adobe Creative Suite, and Google Suite.
- A collegial, team-oriented spirit, strong work ethic, and a good sense of humor.
- Ability to consistently provide a high level of customer service and responsiveness.
- Integrity, honesty, and a strong work ethic.
- Some travel, weekend and evenings may be required or ability to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
CMS platforms (ie. WordPress), Email Marketing (ie. MailChimp), Analytic tools (ie. Google Analytics, video analytics), Social Media Platforms (ie, Hootsuite). Adobe Creative Suite (ie. Photoshop, InDesign, Premier), Management Systems (ie.Ravenna), Database systems (ie. Powerschool, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge), SEO, Keyword Search
This is a year-round position. Salary is commensurate with experience, and this position is benefits eligible. Candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check. Occasional nights and weekends are required.
Concord Academy actively seeks applicants who reflect and support our mission and commitment to join a diverse and inclusive school community. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. To submit an application, please send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to:
Director of Marketing & Communications
For more information about Concord Academy, please visit our website at www.concordacademy.org.