Remember how excited your child was the summer before entering CA? Remember all the questions you had as your son or daughter was about to enter a new school? CA Parents organizes programs that welcome new families and students. We could use your help with Parent-to-Parent and Boarding Student Host Family programs for next year. If you have any questions, please reach out to Advancement Officer Amy Sagalyn (email@example.com) or Head of CA Parents Kristan First (firstname.lastname@example.org). Sign up here.
Parent to Parent Program
Parent-to-Parent volunteers contact new CA families during the late spring/early summer and throughout the year to welcome them and share information.
· In the spring/early summer, send an introductory email to new parents. (A template will be provided)
· In early summer, make a follow-up phone call to welcome families, become acquainted, provide helpful information, and answer any questions they may have.
· Before the start of the academic year, check-in with families to answer last minute questions
· Connect with new parents at Family Weekend and at other Concord Academy events
Boarding Host Family Program
The Boarding Host Family Program matches boarding students with local “host” families for the academic year. Host families provide a friendly connection in the local community. Some host families provide notes or treats for their boarding students, take them out for ice cream or pizza, invite them to their home for dinner, and offer a slice of family life for CA boarders.
This is a year-long commitment with the hope for monthly student contact, though, the program is flexible according to a student’s needs and what a family can provide. Volunteers are welcome to host students for a weekend away, with advanced notice.
· August: Communicate with your boarding student’s family. Assure the parents that you will be available to answer their questions and help their child with her adjustment to CA, and to connect with new students.
· September: Host families attend either new student orientation to meet new boarding students and/or the Host Family barbecue to meet your new and returning boarding students.
· October: If your host student’s family is unable to attend Family Weekend, it is great to attend a few classes with your students.
· December and May: You may want to make a phone call or send a care package at Exam Time.